Sunday, March 6, 2011

To Tell or Not to Tell?

Today I went to a baby shower for my friend Doreen.  Within the first five minutes I was there, after I declined the alcoholic punch, the woman sitting next to me immediately asked if I was pregnant.  I don't mind being evasive but I hate having to flat-out lie, but I did.  Later, I was talking with my friend Heather who is also pregnant, and she asked if Paul-John and I would be starting a family anytime soon and I had to give some sort of wishy-washy answer.  And then later, when several of us were discussing food and drink that are verboten for pregnant folk, and I made a comment about how soft cheese will be (not is right now) one of the most difficult things to give up, someone else asked me if I was pregnant!  The whole ordeal was a little frustrating, but I have decided to take it as a good sign if I am giving out pregnant vibes.

Later in the afternoon I did end up telling Heather that I am 5 weeks preggo.  I felt a little guilty, since I want to be more secretive that Paul-John, and I have been convincing him why we should wait to tell friends, and I was the one to spill the beans pretty much the first time I left the house.  However, the people that Paul-John wants to tell are mainly male, and there is a huge difference, at least to me, to telling a guy and telling a pregnant female.  Even though Heather and I aren't super close, she is someone I would feel very comfortable talking to if anything should go wrong, and that is not something I can say about all of our friends.  (At least not right away.  After a certain amount of time I am sure I would tell all of our friends).

Last night on the phone my MIL said that the 9 months tend to go really fast, but I think the first twelve weeks go by super slow.  I am really looking forward to getting over this first hurdle.

2 comments:

  1. You can't have soft cheese?? oh my gosh there is so much I don't know. sigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turns out most soft cheeses are safe! There is so much information and misinformation about what is safe during pregnancy it can be overwhelming. For cheese, they say unpastuerized cheese should be avoided but some places just sat "soft.". But I checked and all the soft cheese I eat - mainly feta and chevre - are pasteurized. I really wouldn't even know where to buy unpasteurized cheese!

    ReplyDelete